Senior Care Needs Increase as Senior Population Grows

nursing a senior citizenIt is no secret that the general population as a whole is getting older. As the number of senior citizens grows, so does the number of options for senior home care in Rancho Cucamonga. This allows flexibility and better care for the elderly, as well as peace of mind for their loved ones.

The United States experienced a population boom from after World War II up to the early 1960s. The “baby boomers,” as they are called, have been the powerhouse of the country’s growth for the last 50 years. An estimated 76 million babies were born during this period. About half of them are now senior citizens, with the rest coming into the category in the next decade or so.

The Need for Assistance

Currently, 13% of the population is above the age of 65. This will increase to 20% by 2030 and will maintain the same levels up to 2050. This number will put a strain on the economy. About 65% of seniors are cared for by their family and friends. This leaves 35% who will need assistance from care providers, as well as different types of care facilities, like nursing homes, assisted living and residential communities.

The government spends close to $600 billion on programs like Medicare. This is expected to double by 2027.

Technology Answers

For the government and the private sector to be able to handle the volume of seniors needing care assistance, technology will have to catch up and provide answers. These possible solutions, along with community-based systems, will have to evolve to meet the seniors’ varied needs better. One of those is the need for less intervention into their private space by the same health professionals who are supposed to assist them.

The volume of senior citizens will also require a boom in construction of facilities, as well as an increase in health professionals to address their needs. These professionals include caregivers, as well as psychiatrists, and medical specialists.

Posted on by Tsfp6 in Healthy Times

Comments are closed.